Sunday, February 07, 2010

Joe Sun - Old Flames (Can't Hold A Candle To You) (1978 )



"Old Flames (Can't Hold A Candle To You)" is Joe Sun's debut album from 1978. And you really can't go wrong with any Joe Sun album, so do not hesitate and do grab this. It's some of the finest Outlaw Country you can lay your hands on. Sterling vocals, peachy songs and some fine picking. Of historical interest: mr. Sun does a cool version of "Long Black Veil", which some might know well from Johnny Cash. On this version, it's preceded with a narration by Danny Dill & Marijohn Wilkin. These two wrote the song and have a nice story to tell on how it became the song it turned out to be. Old flames.

8 comments:

mtree said...

Cool! More Joe Sun.
I had a couple of 45's of his that I enjoyed a while back, but came back around to digging him through your site. Thanks!

Will said...

Some great stuff. Thanks for making this available. Thought I had all of the great outlaw stuff from the 70's. Guess I was wrong. Joe is definitely one of the shoulda been a stars.

Skydogg said...

Yup, Joe is cool..

joetomrud said...

Yipeee, more Joe Sun, I really must come around
here more often! Now if you could just post "The
Sun Never Sets", an album I had on the Swedish
Sonet label from 1984. Some of it was recorded in
London with some English musicians, and it's an
excellent record. I checked in the attic and I have
the cover, but the vinyl has disappeared.

Do you have this album?

Joe in Dublin.

Skydogg said...

I do have that album. And I will post it. You just keep coming back, ya hear!

mtree said...

Great news about the Sonet album. I have two or three Doug Sahm albums that were only released in Sweden on that label. Seems that Scandinavia was a friendly place for
under-appreciated country-ish artists.

Anonymous said...

This is very cool. I'd heard of him but nothing more. Thanks. W.

kobilica said...

Thanks again...