Friday, June 05, 2009

Larry Jon Wilson - New Beginnings (1975)



I'm really glad to have this album of Larry Jon Wilson. I only knew one song of Larry Jon, which can be found on the "Heartworn Highway" DVD. You can watch that song here. And thanks to Mawos for finding the rip.
Larry Jon Wilson released 4 albums in the 70's, and his style sometimes resembles Jerry Reed or Waylon Jennings and at other times he steps into Travis Wammack territory. It's Country but has a definite Outlaw feel to it. And the man gets Funky occasionally, as you can witness on "Ohoopee River Bottomland". But the best part, as far as I'm concerned, is the man's voice. He has this incredibly wonderful baritone and he just demands attention. And though at times this album has some really slick production, underneath all that there's always a beautiful and well-crafted song. This is a really great album. Listen!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/143394112/sand.zip.htm
Gove Scrivenor-Made of sand(2006)@256

Just thought you might like it.

Jenaclap said...

Beautiful voice and songs. I like their ballads and a very good song called "Melt No My Igloo" that reminds me of "Goin' Back to My Roots" (Richie Havens, 1980).

Many Thanks,

Salud,
Jenaclap

Skydogg said...

Thanks Anonymous, I'm sure I will. But though I can download the zip, I can not open it (winrar). It says "unknown method in sand". I also tried winzip, but to no avail. Can you fix it? I have two Gove CD's, which I love. Gracias...
Skydogg

Anonymous said...

I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

I just downloaded it, the link was OK.Right click the archive-Extract here.You'll be asked for a Password.The Password is 'iliketrees'.

Skydogg said...

Got it, thanks. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Skydogg
Thanks for this, I was watching Heartworn Highway a couple of nights ago and missed Larry first time around watching, so really thankful for you uploading this.
Your blog is so interesting and I got the Don Penn one last time in and thankyou for that too.
Cy from Portknockie.

sander said...

Great stuff, hard to find, I hope it'll be rereleased on cd, but for now I'm very glad with the download!
hi from holland.

Anonymous said...

For some reason Larry Jon didn't stick out for me while watching Heartworn Highways, but was just listening to the soundtrack and loved him, went looking for more and found your post, much appreciation.

DJ Mike G said...

Rest in peace, Larry Jon. I was just getting into his stuff and I just found out today that he's passed on. He was a brilliant songwriter and singer, criminally under-recognized. I love his music, its absolute genius. Hope he's in a better place now.

Anonymous said...

hello, what a great music!!! do you have the album credits? musicians etc..

regards

Skydogg said...

http://www.larry-jon-wilson.com/pageID_6151570.html

CyrusC said...

Hey,
Thanks for all the great stuff! I've been turned on to a lot of great stuff here. Could you Re-post all the Larry John Wilson stuff? I recently lost all my music and have been jonesing for some of this!

Cyrus said...

Any chance you cold re-post the Larry John Wilson albums? I , for one, would be stoked!

Sergej said...

Please, re-upload this one. Thank you.

Skydogg said...

Re-upped!

Sergej said...

Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your time & effort in making an excellent selection of music
available for download. All who visit you site are truly fortunate, again thankyou

Skydogg said...

Thanks man. And you're welcome! ;-)